Thursday, August 18, 2011

full circle

august 18, 2011
summer 2011 has been perfect - there is not a single thing i would have changed. sure, there were challenging parts and there were nights i felt like crying (and maybe i did cry a little..), but overall i learned so much and grew infinitely. camp bob helped me re-discover my passion for working with kids, and even more particularly, underprivileged youth. at times it was hard to relate to them, but in the end i learned from them and they learned from me. each day had its low points and high points. only a few times i felt confused on why i was even there, why i was hired to be a camp counselor, but at the end of the day it was more fun than anything else. i feel like i should write a book from all the silly stories i have - who knew some kids liked to pee in jars? or words like "blazin" or "bustin" could be used to describe mashed potatoes? or when you want to debrief and wrap up the day, a kid will (w)RAP up the day? i definitely saw god working in each of them, some more than others, but god was there. god was very present.

december 29, 2011
feeling like i've neglected my blog for a good 4 months, i came one to post some of pictures and of 2011. instead, i rediscovered this post i never published. its weird how things have come full circle. my main priority winter break has been to finish my summer camp application for a camp in upstate new york for nyc kids who are sponsored to come. i've spent many days reflecting camp bob and why it was so important to me and why i want to continue to work with inner city kid. my post from august is almost identical to what i've been writing for my current app. i'm eager to apply and hope to get in. i want to pursue this passion. this is what i want to do and i plan to fulfill it. i have always loved working with kids, and now i feel like its my calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment